At Chapel Street, we aim to stimulate a child’s natural curiosity into the world around them, by providing them with opportunities to enquire, investigate and analyse how and why things happen. We believe that by building up a body of key foundational knowledge of biology, chemistry and physics, that pupils will recognise the impact of science in their own futures, personally and globally.
We aim to ensure that pupils:
- Develop understanding of nature, life processes and physical processes through scientific enquiry
- Ask and answer scientific questions
- Plan and conduct their own investigations to explore science further
- Evaluate evidence and draw their own conclusions clearly and accurately.
We use a variety of teaching methods within our school to develop and enhance the knowledge, skills and understanding of science. We have developed a new curriculum this year which uses a book as a main ‘hook’ to our learning, and the children are taught a unit of science through the ideas they experience in a text. We make full use of our amazing outdoor areas such as The Quad and Wild Area, and we use the local area to explore the natural world.
At Chapel Street, we know that science is good when:
- We are enthusiastic and engaged in learning
- We ask, explore and find answers to our questions
- We use practical and hands-on activities to help us to investigate
- We can demonstrate our learning in lots of ways
- We can use technical and scientific vocabulary to explain and discuss our learning
- We make links to real life and other areas of the curriculum
This year, we are working hard to achieve the Primary Science Quality Mark award. Primary Science Quality Mark is a highly successful, unique award programme to develop and celebrate the profile of science teaching, learning and leadership in primary schools.
Winners for the ‘Science Selfie’ competition – Well done to Naira RA, Kamari 5B, William 1A
Please click to view all entries for the ‘Science Selfies’ competition.
Chapel Street Primary School, Chapel Street, Levenshulme, Manchester, M19 3GH
Tel: 0161 224 1269 | Fax: 0161 248 4092 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 Copyright Chapel Street Primary School | Website design by Kittle Visual Marketing